Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

irhadk

Is equipment rental considered a passive activity?

My wife and I have a trailer rental company. The company is registered as LLC and we are 50/50 partners. The trailers are rented out to my trucking company which is single member LLC. There is not really much work involved and we virtually spend no time running the rental business. Is this considered a passive activity and if it is where do we put it in the turbo tax business and what are repercussions tax wise? Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I agree consult a tax professional. one issue is whether the trailers are personal property or real property under state law. here's my $ 02. the self-rental rules would apply. income is non-passive but losses are passive. income from personal property rental is subject to self-employment tax but not for real property. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Basically, the rental business produces non-passive income. However, because you have ownership in both the the business you rent to, and the business you rent from, there are special tax considerations that must be taken into account, which I myself am not all that well knowledgeable on. I would highly suggest you seek professional advice from a local tax professional or CPA. This would be especially recommended if your state also taxes personal income.

I agree consult a tax professional. one issue is whether the trailers are personal property or real property under state law. here's my $ 02. the self-rental rules would apply. income is non-passive but losses are passive. income from personal property rental is subject to self-employment tax but not for real property. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies