Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife and I got married in October 2023. She lived in Wisconsin and I lived in Minnesota. After we got married in November 2023, I moved in with her in Wisconsin. What is the best way for us to file our federal and state returns?

My wife and I got married last year in October 2023. After we got married, in November 2023, I moved in with her in Wisconsin. 

I'm wondering what the best way for each of us to file our 2023 tax returns should be? I know there is a benefit to filing jointly, so should we file jointly for our federal returns? What status should we use to file separately in our state returns? I know I will personally need to file state returns for Minnesota and Wisconsin, as I lived in both states in 2023.  

Looking for expert advice. Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

My wife and I got married in October 2023. She lived in Wisconsin and I lived in Minnesota. After we got married in November 2023, I moved in with her in Wisconsin. What is the best way for us to file our federal and state returns?

Both MN and WI state you must use the same filing status for them as your federal filing status.  Since you were married on December 31st you are considered married for the tax year.  Your choices would therefore be Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) or Married Filing Separately (MFS).  As you mention typically MFJ leads to a more favorable tax outcome.  With that in mind you should file MFJ federally and part-year resident returns for MN and WI as MFJ. 

First, in the "My Info" section edit your information and indicate you lived in WI on 31 Dec but lived in another state (MN). Enter the date you moved to WI.  Then edit your spouse's information and indicate they lived in WI on 31 Dec and did not live in another state. 

Next enter your income and deductions as normal in the federal interviews.  

After completing your federal interviews start the MN state return.  It should be "Part-year".  Eventually you will arrive at the allocation section.  You will allocate only your income received while a resident in MN to MN. 

Finally start the WI interview.  It should be "Part-year".  Eventually you will arrive at the allocation section.  Allocate all of your spouse's income plus any income you received while a resident in WI to WI.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies