turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My w2 form on box 20 says HUBER HEIGHTS CI. but i live in fairborn ohio ? I do work in huber heights though. what school district number do i use?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

My w2 form on box 20 says HUBER HEIGHTS CI. but i live in fairborn ohio ? I do work in huber heights though. what school district number do i use?

Ohio has both city income tax and School district (SD) Income tax. Boxes 18-20 can be used for either. Don't mix them up.

"HUBER HEIGHTS CI" is city tax, not SD. Both Huber Hts and Fairborn have city tax. You normally only have to file a return in the city you live in. It is not necessary to file one in the city you work in, if different. Your employer will remit withholding to the city you work in, but you do not file a return unless you're claiming a refund or your employer didn't withhold enough ( both highly unusual). The city you live in will allow a credit or partial credit for the withheld tax you paid to the work location city. You may end up owing your resident city nothing, but you are still required to file a return.

Fairborn is a "RITA" city; so you can do a city return in TuroTax. TurboTax (TT) does not automatically prepare a city return, you must initiate it. At the screen, in the Ohio program, titled 

"A few things before we wrap up your state taxes"
      scroll down to Ohio City taxes. 
Or, later
"Your 2016 Ohio Taxes are ready for us to check"
    -Click Other situations
    -Scroll down to Ohio City taxes. 

TT cannot e-file an Ohio City or RITA return. It must be printed and mailed.

I actually find it easier to fill out a city return by hand or at the city, CCA or RITA web site, than to use TT. Things don't happen automatically and you need to know what you’re doing. The actual  RITA/city forms are easier to follow than the TT interview. There were major changes to the RITA form, this year. At last check, TT was still working on it.

http://www.ritaohio.com/

Hal_Al
Level 15

SD 2903 Fairborn CSD (Clark, Greene, and Montgomery counties) also has a SD income tax, which you are probably subject to.
TurboTax (TT) also does not automatically prepare a School District return, you must initiate it.
At the screen, in the Ohio program, titled  "A few things before we wrap up your state taxes"
      scroll down to School District taxes.
Or later at the screen  "Your 2016 Ohio Taxes are ready for us to check"
    -Click Other situations
    -Scroll down to School District taxes.
DianeW
Expert Alumni

You should file a report for the city where you live, your employer is required to withhold and pay to the city or locality where the employer is situated.  Fairborn, where you live, is the school district number you should use.  They will recognize the tax you paid to the other district when completing your form.

TurboTax has the capability to do the local returns as well.  Click the images to enlarge and view for your assistance.

[Edited:  02.01.2018 | 5:40 AM]

Hal_Al
Level 15

@TurboTaxDianeW - could you please find out the status of the RITA forms in TT
DianeW
Expert Alumni

@Hal_Al They are available now and I've added images to my answer. Thank you for your additional answer.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies