daniel09121961

my state am filing is Texas but it keeps coming back Alabama

Texas does not have an income tax.   Where is it saying Alabama?   When you enter a W2?   Leave boxes 15-17 blank.

Mike9241

do the letters AL appear in box 15 and an amount in box 16?    if so, it would seem you performed some services for your employer in AL that make those wages taxable there.   if you didn't you need to contact your employer for a corrected w-2.

Many states with an income tax will tax an employee's wages earned while physically present and working in that state even though their employer is situated in another state.   "ballplayers" is a common example of employees who have to file in multiple states.

Hal_Al

Two other reasons TurboTax (TT) will generate another state return: in the personal info section 

1. You indicated you lived in that state part of the year

2. You indicated you made money in another state