Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My resident status for states

Hi, I am a foreign national who became a resident alien in 2020. My question is, I lived in NY, MA and KY for 2020 but for 90 days each (so 270 days approx in total in the US). But I was not a resident of any of these individual states by Dec 2020 (I pay rent in MA since September though, but I went back abroad for all of December). When the tax form asks me what state I was a resident of in Dec 2020 and if I lived in another state, should I just mention 'foreign'?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

US state residency is determined by whether and where you establish a domicile and household. 

You say you paid rent in Massachusetts since September.  Did you continue to pay rent for a household in MA while you were abroad in December? 

If so, and you intend or returned to MA you have established your domicile in the US in MA.  You can state your state of residence as of Dec 2020 was MA.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

US state residency is determined by whether and where you establish a domicile and household. 

You say you paid rent in Massachusetts since September.  Did you continue to pay rent for a household in MA while you were abroad in December? 

If so, and you intend or returned to MA you have established your domicile in the US in MA.  You can state your state of residence as of Dec 2020 was MA.  

Thank you. This really helps.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies