turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My hubs earned income in NY n 2016 and we rcvd a W2 that said "NY" as state & one that said "Total State", 2 versions of a W2 for same incm. how do i file? we live in CA

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

My hubs earned income in NY n 2016 and we rcvd a W2 that said "NY" as state & one that said "Total State", 2 versions of a W2 for same incm. how do i file? we live in CA

It depends.  As far as entering this information into TurboTax is concerned, you can ignore the line that says "Total State".  This is not information that the program needs.  However, if the same W2 has other state information (such as CA or another state), you would want to include this information on separate state lines.  

As far as your state returns are concerned, you will file a NY nonresident return and a CA resident return.  California taxes the income your husband earned in NY also, but you will receive a credit for the amount of tax he had to pay on that income to New York.  For this reason, you will want to prepare the New York return first in TurboTax.  Please see this FAQ with additional instructions:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302052

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  As far as entering this information into TurboTax is concerned, you can ignore the line that says "Total State".  This is not information that the program needs.  However, if the same W2 has other state information (such as CA or another state), you would want to include this information on separate state lines.  

As far as your state returns are concerned, you will file a NY nonresident return and a CA resident return.  California taxes the income your husband earned in NY also, but you will receive a credit for the amount of tax he had to pay on that income to New York.  For this reason, you will want to prepare the New York return first in TurboTax.  Please see this FAQ with additional instructions:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302052

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies