turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ejjoo86

My hub'll be in WA for 2 yrs. I'll be mainly in WA, but my car, house, voting all in NC & will be traveling b/t two states. Can I remain as NC resident for my telework?

my husband will be in WA for his temporary job for 2 years.  My company is located in NC and it will allow me to do telework only if I can figure out tax situations. my company does not allow any out of state workers. I will be working in WA and NC alternatively (but working mostly remote in WA) and I intend to leave my permanent residency in NC meaning, my car, my house, driver's license, voting registration etc will remain in NC. However, my physical self will be in WA for prolonged time (3/4 or more of the times in the year visiting my husband's place in WA). Can I still claim myself as NC permanent resident and only pay NC local taxes? Will it create some trouble that I work in WA from my employers perspective?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

My hub'll be in WA for 2 yrs. I'll be mainly in WA, but my car, house, voting all in NC & will be traveling b/t two states. Can I remain as NC resident for my telework?

North Carolina will consider you a resident for tax purposes as long as your domicile (your permanent home) is in North Carolina.  As an NC resident, all your income, regardless of where earned, is subject to NC state income tax.

Washington State does not have a personal income tax.

If you move your domicile to Washington, the only portion of your income subject to NC income tax would be your earnings from physically working within NC.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

North Carolina will consider you a resident for tax purposes as long as your domicile (your permanent home) is in North Carolina.  As an NC resident, all your income, regardless of where earned, is subject to NC state income tax.

Washington State does not have a personal income tax.

If you move your domicile to Washington, the only portion of your income subject to NC income tax would be your earnings from physically working within NC.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
ejjoo86

When you said physically in NC, but what about if I am physically in WA and work remotely in WA for a company located in NC. CAN I still claim myself as NC resident and NC income tax? It's complicated, because I know state tax income is lower (in fact 0 in WA) but I need to be eligible to pay NC tax to be able to work in the company.
TomD8
Level 15

As I said, if you maintain your domicile in NC, ALL your income, including income earned working remotely in WA, is taxable by NC.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies