Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dconn99

My federal W-2 has no state, "TOTAL STATE" for state ID with an amt in box 16. The state W-2 has a state, state id, box 17 is different What do I enter on my federal?

The different amounts in Box 17 is throwing me off a bit.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My federal W-2 has no state, "TOTAL STATE" for state ID with an amt in box 16. The state W-2 has a state, state id, box 17 is different What do I enter on my federal?

@dconn99 

On the Software W-2, you enter the $$ amounts for boxes 15, 16&17 for what is showing on the state copy.  You don't enter the Total line that they show on the Federal copy....though it does sound fishy, there may be a reason for it, especially if you worked in two states.

Then check any other W-2 copies to make sure you don't have any other states listed  (like if you worked in CO or Utah, or WA, or some other state with an income tax, during the year), and put those values in a second state line for boxes 15,16,17 on the same software form.

Not sure exactly how different the $$ amounts are showing up that you are seeing, but occasionally certain $$ amounts are (or are not) included in state income, but are (or are not) included in Federal income.

Finally...if you uploaded your W-2 by taking a picture....there can be major errors in the A.I.'s interpretation of what goes into the various boxes (I wouldn't trust picture uploads for a few years yet, maybe never).  EDIT The W-2 and make sure all is correctly entered.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

But if you did work in a second state, if the second state was WA or WY (or another state without an income tax), you wouldn't enter that extra state's line for boxes 15,16,17 on the W-2 at all . (TTX won't take any non-income-tax states).  Should work out OK anyhow.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies