Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Multi state filling

I was a Virginia resident in the year 2021 and in early 2022, I moved to Colorado for Job (Job start date - Jan 3rd 2022). I temporarily stayed and worked remotely from VA for 34 days last year during my relocation.
Do I need to add both the states in my tax return or just Colorado is fine?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Multi state filling

No.  You're going to file part-year returns in both states.  In the "My Info" section indicate CO is your resident state on 12/31. Next answer "Yes" you lived in another state, select VA and enter the date the you actually finally physically left VA.

Enter all applicable income and deductions in the federal interview according to the forms you received.  

In each of the state returns you will have the opportunity to allocate income/deductions based on where you physically worked.  Divide the income or deduction source that was spread over both states by the number of working days or weeks for that employer.  If it was the whole year, there are 260 working days or 52 weeks. If there were vacation days/weeks then subtract those from the total before dividing.  Then multiply the result by the number worked in each respective state.

If there were income sources/deductions that only apply to a specific state then only allocate that source as appropriate. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Multi state filling

No.  You're going to file part-year returns in both states.  In the "My Info" section indicate CO is your resident state on 12/31. Next answer "Yes" you lived in another state, select VA and enter the date the you actually finally physically left VA.

Enter all applicable income and deductions in the federal interview according to the forms you received.  

In each of the state returns you will have the opportunity to allocate income/deductions based on where you physically worked.  Divide the income or deduction source that was spread over both states by the number of working days or weeks for that employer.  If it was the whole year, there are 260 working days or 52 weeks. If there were vacation days/weeks then subtract those from the total before dividing.  Then multiply the result by the number worked in each respective state.

If there were income sources/deductions that only apply to a specific state then only allocate that source as appropriate. 

Multi state filling

Thanks for your response, much appreciated. I have calculated my VA income based on the number of days we physically lived/worked there. My VA adjusted gross income is not crossing the limit of $23,900. Should I still need to file VA state return? Looking for your expert advice.

VA website says I don't need to file.

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/who-must-file

You must file an income tax return in Virginia if:

• you are a resident of Virginia, part-year resident, or a nonresident, and 
  • you are required to file a federal income tax return, and
  • you have Virginia adjusted gross income equal to or greater than the amounts below: 

Filing Status

Income Threshold

Single or married filing separately

$11,950

Married filing jointly

$23,900

Should you file if you owe nothing?

You are not required to file if you don't owe any taxes and will not receive a refund. However, we periodically review and update our records to make sure that we have the correct return information on file. As a result, even if you didn't need to file a return for a given year, we may send you a letter later asking you to verify your Virginia adjusted gross income.

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Multi state filling

So it sounds like your income for Virginia was less than the income threshold(s) and you are not required to file a state tax return for Virginia for 2022. And you have moved from there so it is not important to report your Virginia Adjusted Gross Income to them.

When you enter your information into TurboTax does it produce a Virginia state tax return for you to file?  If it does and it has relevant information on it, or you are getting a refund of taxes withheld while working in VA, then you should file it.  

I don't know all of your tax circumstances so it is hard to answer with specificity.

If this does not help please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community additional questions or click here for information on Turbo Tax Support.  You can connect with a Live TurboTax Agent and share your screen.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies