Multi state filing puzzle....

Confusedotter

Multi state filing puzzle....

My spouse and I got married in Minnesota. I moved to Nevada in late 2018, and established myself as a residence here while my spouse stayed back in Minnesota. 

He started going school beginning of last year in Minnesota, and has a W2 from one month of working in January but it's under the Minnesota filing requirement, and I have no Minnesota source income. 

I am wondering what is the best way to file this year's taxes. Are we going to have to file separately even though he only has few thousand dollars of income from Minnesota? Or can we file jointly, and skip the Minnesota state filing since he made under the threshold?

JotikaT2

Multi state filing puzzle....

It depends.

Did he change his state of residency to Nevada or does he still reside in Minnesota?

If he no longer lives in Minnesota and his income is below the threshold level, he may not need to file in Minnesota.

If he does not have a filing requirement based upon the information provided below, you may still want to file to obtain a refund for any income taxes withheld, if any.

MN filing requirement

Confusedotter

Multi state filing puzzle....

He has not changed the residency to Nevada and he is still living in Minnesota to go to school. 

JotikaT2

Multi state filing puzzle....

As long as his income is still below the threshold for filing, you will not need to file in Minnesota.  Attached is a link with the resident threshold amounts.

MN filing requirements