Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Moved in 2019 from SC to NC

We moved from SC to NC in July 2019 and have income and deductions for each state.  How do I apportion those amounts to each state?  I have completed the federal tax portion.

1 Reply
Expert Alumni

Moved in 2019 from SC to NC

SC and NC both have part-year resident returns.Prepare the SC part-year resident return first. The part-year return will ask you to allocate your income to that state. All SC wages, interest, capital gains, business, whatever you earned while in SC, goes on the SC return.


Then prepare the part-year NC return, again, allocating NC income to NC.


For example:

  • SC $20,000 wages earned and $15 interest
  • NC $55,000 wages earned and $2 interest

Together they would add up to the totals on your federal.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"