turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Moved from NY to PA, continued working in/commuting to NY for 1 month. Received 2 W2s, but PA's W2 lists Local Philly Income/Tax, not PA state. What do I do?

@BillM223 I am noticing on my PA return under Compensation Summary The Totals under my Employer info is blank. It says "Edit each compensation entry you want to adjust for PA purposes. If your compensation was not earned while a PA resident or from PA sources you will need to edit the entry". So, I click Edit. Should "Make this income Taxable in PA" be checked, or keep it unchecked?

Moved from NY to PA, continued working in/commuting to NY for 1 month. Received 2 W2s, but PA's W2 lists Local Philly Income/Tax, not PA state. What do I do?

Any guidance on this @BillM223 ? I'm completely stuck on this part and desperately need to complete these taxes. Thank you so much for the help you've given so far!

Please Please Please @BillM223 ...I'm running out of time. I'm begging for your help to finish up this issue that you were trying to help me with.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Let's do this.

When you enter your W-2, there is a NY entry for boxes 15-17 for NY but none for PA, right?

Let's pretend that you earned all of that New York (the entire W-2) while you still lived in New York, and that you did not earned any of it in PA.

I do not know what other income you have. Calculate a percentage (ratio) of the time you lived in NY and the time you lived in PA. These should add up to 100%.

Then, for any income that you received over the course of the year (like interest or pension income), multiply that amount by the ratio for each state and enter that amount for that state in each state's interview (the interview for each state should ask you what amount of this or that income item belongs to this state).

If you received a one-time item, then allocate it to the state that you were living in when you received it (like an IRA distribution).

Go through both interviews, and then check the state incomes and see if the income for NY plus the income for PA add up to your federal income. If they do, declare Victory. If they don't, check to see if the difference is due to something not taxed the same in PA and NY (like pension distributions, which are taxed in NY depending on the source, but not in PA in most cases).

I am sorry that this is so complicated, but the test I have has a lot of extraneous other income items, which makes it hard to see how you should be doing it...so, let's hope that your return is simple, that you can allocate all income items to either NY or PA or split the income (not the wage income - other income types as I noted above) by the ratio you calculated, and then let's see if your two state incomes are reasonable.

As for your local tax, let's work on that when you get the state incomes right.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies