Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moved from CA to WA. Sold home in CA in mid-June & Apt. rent in WA started in mid-July. Commuting to CA for work(W2). Which state should I file tax? Thank you

I am not teleworking. 
WA has no income tax.
Besides W2, I have 1099int
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Moved from CA to WA. Sold home in CA in mid-June & Apt. rent in WA started in mid-July. Commuting to CA for work(W2). Which state should I file tax? Thank you

You have to pay California tax on all of the income that you earn for working in California, whether or not you live there. You have to file a California part-year resident tax return and report all of the income that you earned in California, both as a resident and as a nonresident.

View solution in original post

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

1. Do I also need to file tax return in WA? I heard there is no state income tax in WA.  You are correct.  WA has no state income tax so no state tax filing there. 

I have a 1099-int from online Bank account which was opened after my house in CA sold.  This is not CA income since the interest was earned after your CA residency was abandoned.

2. I am still working for same employer and have only one W2. When filling tax as resident and nonresident in CA, which date should I consider that  I became nonresident in CA? Between The date(6/12) I sold my house in CA and date(7/24) I started renting Apt. in WA During the gap between these dates I was out of country.  Use the date you sold the property as the date you departed CA and became WA resident.  That is the date ties were cut and intent to not return was shown.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

No, there isn't anything you need to file with the state of California to inform that you have moved out of state.  

6 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You have to pay California tax on all of the income that you earn for working in California, whether or not you live there. You have to file a California part-year resident tax return and report all of the income that you earned in California, both as a resident and as a nonresident.

Thank you so much for your answer.

I have Two More questions:

1. Do I also need to file tax return in WA? I heard there is no state income tax in WA.

I have a 1099-int from online Bank account which was opened after my house in CA sold.

2. I am still working for same employer and have only one W2. When filling tax as resident and nonresident in CA, which date should I consider that  I became nonresident in CA? Between The date(6/12) I sold my house in CA and date(7/24) I started renting Apt. in WA During the gap between these dates I was out of country.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

1. Do I also need to file tax return in WA? I heard there is no state income tax in WA.  You are correct.  WA has no state income tax so no state tax filing there. 

I have a 1099-int from online Bank account which was opened after my house in CA sold.  This is not CA income since the interest was earned after your CA residency was abandoned.

2. I am still working for same employer and have only one W2. When filling tax as resident and nonresident in CA, which date should I consider that  I became nonresident in CA? Between The date(6/12) I sold my house in CA and date(7/24) I started renting Apt. in WA During the gap between these dates I was out of country.  Use the date you sold the property as the date you departed CA and became WA resident.  That is the date ties were cut and intent to not return was shown.  

Thank you for the answers.

One more regarding being non-residency of CA.

Is there any report or form I should fill out  to announce CA state I moved out of CA state in addition to filing tax as non-resident?

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

No, there isn't anything you need to file with the state of California to inform that you have moved out of state.  

If I have one W2 from my employer. And I became nonresident of CA state in mid-June.

How can I divide income per W2 as a CA resident and CA non-resident? Add up income of each pay statements till end of June for CA resident tax filing ? 

For Federal tax returns, I guess I input the amount of income without dividing.

thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies