Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ph00756-

Money Market Account withdrawals

For tax year 2024, I am withdrawing large amounts for a roof, gutters, and other home maintenance projects. I am aware of the interest tax obligations but not sure of the federal and state AGI impact. My residence is NY state. Q1. What portion of MMA withdrawals is considered as income for federal taxes? Q2. Same question for NY state? Q3. If considered income for NY state, how do I estimate withholding? Q4. Can li get penalized (NY) for under payment of taxes if I don’t make an estimated payment? Total Income estimate 65 to 80K for 2024.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

withdrawals are not taxed (unless they are coming out of a tax deferred account such as an IRA) .  Othrwise, it's the income earned on the MM that is taxed and th income is taxed whether or not you withdraw it. In addition, since it would seem more money is oming out than going in the earnings for 2024 will likley be less than for 2023.

There will be no federal penalties for not paying in enough taxes during the year if withholding and
a) timely estimated tax payments equal or exceed 90% of your 2024 tax or
b) timely estimated tax payments equal or exceed 100% of your 2023 tax (110% if your 2023 adjusted gross income was more than $150K) or
c) the balance due after subtracting taxes withheld from 90% of your 2024 tax is less than $1,000 or
d) your total taxes are less than $1,000

state laws differ

New York state

You do not need to pay estimated tax if:

• You expect to owe less than $300 of New York State, $300 of New York City, and $300 of Yonkers income tax after deducting tax withheld and credits that you are entitled to claim.
  • You expect your tax withheld during 2024 to be at least:
    • 90% of the tax shown on your 2024 return
    • 100% of the tax shown on your 2023 return (110% of that amount if the New York adjusted gross income [NYAGI] [or net earnings from self-employment allocated to the MCTD] shown on that return is more than $150,000 [$75,000 if married filing separately for 2024]). You must have filed a return for 2023 and it must have been for a full 12-month year.

Is the MMA in a regular bank account?  Or a Money Market mutual fund like in Vanguard, Fidelity, etc?  Or is it in a IRA or 401K account?  They are all taxed differently.  

ph00756-

It is a Fidelity MMA, proceeds from a home sale deposit. It was less than the federal tax $ value (ie, not taxable).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies