Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mo City Tax for St Louis

I worked for Accenture Federal Service out of the Joplin MO office. When I was let go I was allowed to continue my life insurance where I paid part and the company paid part. Wile the Joplin office I received a W2 for the company's part of the insurance. I filed and paid Federal and state taxes for the $900.00. My W2's were prepared and sent by the San Antonio office. Everything was as it should be. Then the Joplin office was closed and my 2022 W2 was sent from the Chicago company office. It listed St Louis in the City Tax section of my W2. I have worked with the company extensively and they refuse to help or change my W2. 

Summery

1. I was assigned to the Joplin office when I was let go.

2. I have always paid State and Federal taxes from the company W2 for the company part of my life insurance.

3. I have never lived in St. Louis.

4. I have never been to any company office in St. Louis.

Do I have to file a return for St Louis City?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Mo City Tax for St Louis

It would seem "no".

St. Louis collects the City tax from Residents and Employees of businesses located or performing work/services within the City of St. Louis, regardless of where they live. See this page.

But we don't even know if there is a St. Louis office, since you are paid out of Chicago. If we want to risk it (getting letters, etc.), delete the reference to St. Louis on your W-2. 

Be ready to justify this if you get a letter from St. Louis. The IRS won't care because they don't worry about box 15 and below.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Mo City Tax for St Louis

Thank you for your informed answer. When I contacted Accenture it seams there is an office in St Louis. They say every person still getting insurance has to be assigned to an office. When they closed the Joplin office after I left the company, they assigned my records to St Louis. I have spent two months fighting with them to change my W2 but they refuse. Is this money considered as earned in St Louis even if I don't live there and am no longer an Accenture employee?  

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Mo City Tax for St Louis

You should not have to pay any St. Louis tax.

St. Louis says:

All wages earned in the City of St. Louis are subject to the earnings tax. Non-resident taxpayers seeking a “non-residency deduction” must only claim whole days worked outside the City, not including remote work.

You can file a St. Louis income tax return to get back all your St. Louis withholding. However, St. Louis requires claims must be supported by a signed letter from your employer on official letterhead, stating whole days worked outside the City during the year. Failure to provide this documentation will result in the disallowance of the deduction.

See the instructions for Form E-1.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies