Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

m6speed

Missouri taxed income not matching federal

After completing federal tax portion and putting in the correct numbers on income and Missouri state tax, i go to start state tax. when it finally gets to the income from the state of missouri it pulls the income from the federal w2 and rounds it up, but pulls a completely incorrect state tax for that income for some reason.  This causes my Illinois state schedule cr to not be correct and will not let me file electronically.  I've checked the federal income  multiple times and it shows the correct numbers from my W2.  but missouri is off when it gets the data and will not let me edit it.  how can i proceed?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

More information is needed.

First, are you a resident of Missouri or Illinois (or someplace else)?  What’s your resident/non-resident/part-year resident status of each?  It’s important that you enter your non-resident state information before your resident state data, or errors can ensue.  See the TurboTax Help article How do I file a nonresident state return? for more information.

Next, what is the “incorrect state tax” that’s being pulled in?  What appears to be wrong, and why do you think it’s wrong?  What is your tax on line 30 of Form MO-1040?  What is your Missouri taxable income on line 29?  What is your filing status – married filing combined or married filing separately?

Any other information you might provide would be helpful.

m6speed

I am an Illinois resident, I have 1 job, i paid half my income tax in missouri and half in illinois.
when i fill out federal return income and put in my w2, on the state part i put in how much of my income was in illinois and how much tax illinois took.  i then did the same for missouri. So that all matches my w2.

When i am finished with my federal return I go to states. It doesn't matter which order i do it in illinois or missouri, for some reason Missouri will get the income from the federal return, round it up and the amount of taxes is not pulled from my federal or w2, it is about 30 dollars short of what was actually taxed.  Since it does not match federal, Illinois says that the schedule cr does not match and I will have to send my illinois return through the mail and not electronically.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Thank you. IL resident means 100% of income goes on IL tax return with a credit for the MO tax paid. You must do the MO tax return first to get the proper income and tax to MO before doing the IL return. 

The MO and IL tax returns both begin with your federal AGI and adjustments must be made to your MO income. 

Follow these steps:

1. Delete IL if possible
  2. Enter MO
  3. Continue through screens until you reach  MO income allocations, 
  4. Enter MO income under MO source wages
  5. Continue through until you reach the income ratio screen and you can clearly see the MO source income and the allocated tax.  These two numbers are what affect your IL return for the IL CR
  6. Do IL return and file IL CR using MO information for MO income and MO allocated tax

@m6speed 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
m6speed

I did that, missouri still pulls the incorrect taxed number from federal, i've deleted and started over multiple times. at this point i just printed out the illinois and will send in through the mail

AmyC
Expert Alumni

I bet I know what is happening. MO creates a tax liability based on the full year and then prorates it.

You are looking at the MO taxable income and seeing a big number, which is correct. When you continue looking, you should see the tax liability prorated. Double check your forms for the prorated part.

Reference:

MO-1040 Instructions see pages 9 for figuring tax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies