Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Maryland state tax return error

This week, I received a letter from the comptroller of Maryland that we incorrectly claimed a pension exclusion in 2020.  We have been charged $594.91 in interest for this error!!!  We have been using TurboTax for decades and have never had a problem like this.  I compared our 2019 and 2020 state returns and noted that TurboTax did not exclude any pension income in 2019, but did exclude $33,100 in pension income in 2020, the first year that we were both 65 years or older.  Digging deeper, I found that Maryland does NOT allow this exclusion on foreign pensions.  We have always completed a IRS Form 4852 for this pension because we can't receive a 1099-R from a foreign entity. IRS has accepted this substitute form for years.  My returns for 2021 and 2022 have this same error.  I expect to be charged interest for these TurboTax errors. Has anyone else had this problem with TurboTax Maryland tax returns? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You are most likely going to have to contact Support (tomorrow) for this issue.

How do I contact TurboTax? (intuit.com)

you can amend 2021 and 2022 to reduce  your penalties now rather than waiting for the State to catch up.

If you are expecting to get reimbursed by TurboTax Accuracy Guarantee, good luck!

@ebuckagain 

@ebuckagain as noted by others, call support

if this is a programming bug, the Turbo Tax guarentee should cover the interest and penalties (but not the tax)

if this is the result of a data entry error, Turbo Tax won't cover the interest and penalties (nor the tax)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies