Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mailing address parents address but have a apartment in another town? state taxes asking if i live in more than one location?

my mailing address is my parents address this address is more permanant and i have all of my "important" mail go there. Im also tenant in an apartment the same state but a different town and pay rent for this apartment. I have not changed my address because i do not see myself staying there long term. But have lived there for 1 year now. state taxes are asking if i have more than 1 residence? Do i write yes and then say i was at my parents house for a few days a year and pay 0$in rent and my apartment the rest and how much i pay in rent?   or do just say i am a tenant at one address but dont mention that the one address is not my mailing address?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Mailing address parents address but have a apartment in another town? state taxes asking if i live in more than one location?

Yes, that makes sense, and is perfectly allowable, to use your parents home as your mailing address. The state might offer credits based on your rent, so answer yes so that you can enter the other address and all the rent you paid in 2017. 

So I write yes I live at more than one residence? Or no I live at one residence during the year?   Cuz technically I live at one residence (my apartment) but on all my forms my address is my parents
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I would answer Yes, you live at more than one so that you can enter the other address and your rent. The state doesn't normally cross check the address, but better safe than sorry. Enter 12 months there.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies