Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jkummer

Local tax paid in Ohio for Indiana resident

My son is an Indiana resident who completed a Co-op in Ohio through the University of Cincinnati.  I imported his W2 on Turbo Tax, and the amount that was used on his Indiana schedule 5 was the sum of the taxes paid in the county where we live plus the amount he paid in the county in Ohio where he worked.  Now he got a bill for $291.95.  Has anyone else run into this problem, and why wasn't the imported information accurate?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

The reciprocity agreement between OH & IN on state income tax does not apply to local city taxes. You are not required to file an OH local city return, but you are also not entitled to a refund of the city withholding (box19 on your W-2), unless there was an error in the amount. 

Most  IN counties (but not the state)  allow a credit, or partial credit for tax paid to an OH city. That will come up in the IN state interview.

jkummer

I went back to his TurboTax file to see if I could submit an amended return, but in order to put any information in TT for the local amount that was withheld, it said I had to file an Ohio return first as far as I could tell...  If there is another way to do this, I would love to know!

Hal_Al
Level 15

In the personal info section, when it asks if you made money in another state, answer NO, per the reciprocal state instructions, on that page. This will prevent TurboTax from thinking you need to file an OH return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies