turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gamvrosi
Returning Member

Local tax for city of Pittsburgh

I have been living and working in the city Pittsburgh since 2016, filing my taxes through TurboTax. Every year, I had 3% withheld for local city tax, but only filed my first zero balance return this year (i.e., for 2022). Even though I am sure I do not owe local city taxes, I am worried about not having filed zero balance returns for the five years from 2017 to 2021.

Do I need to take action now regarding this? Does anyone know whether there is a form I can file, or is this going to be messier than that?

Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Local tax for city of Pittsburgh

See a local accountant to double-check your prior year Pittsburgh earned income tax returns if you have questions. If there are mistakes, they can advise you.

The Pittsburgh EIT is 3% of your W-2 income so it generally zeros out if you do not have self-employment income (which would give you an amount due) or are claiming work expenses such as union dues from Pennsylvania Schedule UE (which would produce a refund).

You do not say whether you usually receive a refund or owe, but if you usually get a refund, you may have forgotten to add in your unreimbursed work expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies