Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Living in another country do I have to file Illinois taxes if I don't live in the state but have a bank account but no interest paid.

I live in Japan. I utilize my Sisters Illinois address for mail. I have a valid Illinois drivers license. I have a bank account in Illinois with no interest paid. Do I still need to file Illinois taxes although my taxes will be 0. or can I just file Federal.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Living in another country do I have to file Illinois taxes if I don't live in the state but have a bank account but no interest paid.

It depends.  If your intention is to return to Illinois and your residence in Japan is temporary, then you are still considered an Illinois resident for tax purposes.  If you were required to file a federal return or if your Illinois base income from Line 9 on Form IL-1040 is greater than your Illinois exemption allowance, you would need to file an Illinois state return.

Depending upon your filing status, you can use this chart to determine what your exemption amount would be.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, I don't intend to return. However, I just maintain my drivers license and an Illinois address for any mail. Other than that I make no income from Illinois, except for the odd dollar or two in interest from the bank.

Therefore I believe I still have to keep filing for State Taxes, although 1. it is one more hassle to file on top of my federal and 2. the turbo tax fee for state filing is around 60 dollars

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

So if you do not intend to return to IL, you do not maintain a residence there, and you have no income from IL, you would not need to file a state return even if you have $1 or $2 from interest as that would not be enough to produce a tax liability. 

Thanks even if I only visit to renew my Illinois drivers license I don't have to file for Illinois taxes

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Not if you do not maintain a home.  The other thing is, if you do not have any income to report, then even if you were a resident, you would not need to file a return.  Visiting a state and not earning income in it, does not provide a tax liability to you. 

Thanks Vanessa, very clear. Much appreciate your expertise!

TomD8
Level 15

@bodhi24 --

Just a tip: to avoid possible headaches with Illinois, and since you don't intend to return there, I strongly advise that you obtain a new DL in your new home country.  There have been cases reported in this forum where Illinois pursued former residents for taxes because the individual still had an active Illinois DL long after relocating to another state.   Thus Illinois believed the person was still a resident of Illinois.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies