Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TODAY!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lived out of the country as a student in 2023 and earned no income in US or California. Do I have to file a federal or state tax return?

My daughter, a college student, resided in a foreign country the entire year except for a brief visit to the US.  She earned $0 in US but does have a job in this country.

Does she have to file a federal or state (California) return for 2023 (other than the FBAR)?

She will not be living in the US in 2024.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Lived out of the country as a student in 2023 and earned no income in US or California. Do I have to file a federal or state tax return?

If she is a US citizen or a US resident then she is required to report her income, foreign or domestic, on a US federal tax return.

@DanaBan how much did she earn?  if less than the standard deduction ($13,850), there is no filing requirement. 

If her income was from self-employment and she received $400 or more then she required to report that income on Form 1040 using a Schedule C.

Thank you.  She is a citizen but not a resident of the US.  She would still file a 1040? NR?

Yes, more than $13k but she does not live in California anymore.  She is a full-time resident of another country since 2021 but last year she had income.  Please point me to the CA state regulation regarding the filing requirement. I am not sure why she would have to file in California and not just a Federal return.

Thank you.

She was a part time employee then a full time employee of a firm in another country.

@DanaBan wrote:

Thank you.  She is a citizen but not a resident of the US.  She would still file a 1040? NR?

Since she is a US citizen then she would file a Form 1040.  The Form 1040NR is only for persons that are not a citizen or not a US legal resident.

Yes, more than $13k but she does not live in California anymore.  She is a full-time resident of another country since 2021 but last year she had income.  Please point me to the CA state regulation regarding the filing requirement. I am not sure why she would have to file in California and not just a Federal return.

Thank you.

TomD8
Level 15

@DanaBan --

If your daughter has established her main, primary home (her domicile in tax terminology) in another country, and she has no California-source income, then she has no income tax obligation to the State of California.

You can find California's detailed rules on residency here:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2023/2023-1031-publication.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies