Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Live in IN, worked < 7 days (salary) in Virginia. Do I need to fil VA taxes?

Pretty much the title. My company did not withhold Viriginia taxes but I do have have to record hours worked by location every day, so they know I worked in Virginia in 2022. Total days worked was < 7 working days.

Do I need to file a VA tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Live in IN, worked < 7 days (salary) in Virginia. Do I need to fil VA taxes?

It is likely you will need to file a VA return.  VA does have a floor for tax filing based on your filing status.   If you have VA adjusted gross income (VAGI) below these levels you do not need to file a VA return.  VAGI is Federal Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) with any VA additions and/or subtractions.  In most cases your VAGI is very close to your Federal AGI.

Single or Married filing separately              $11,950

Married filing jointly                                      $23,900

Next VA also says if you do not owe a tax or get a refund you do not need to file.  You can put in your numbers in TurboTax for a VA return to see if everything zeroes out.  However, the way VA figures their nonresident state tax is by using a ratio of VA source income/income from all sources and multiplying by the tax computed as if you were a VA resident to arrive at the nonresident tax.  This will likely result in a tax owed since nothing was withheld for VA taxes; meaning you will need to file.

To generate the VA nonresident return in the "My Info" section scroll down to "Other State Income" and indicate you earned income in another state and select VA. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies