turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Non resident alien

I am an international student who should be counted as a non-resident alien. However I use the turbotax wrongly and do not file the 1042s and 8843 forms. I have already e-filed my tax return using turbotax. What can I do to amend my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Non resident alien

Yes, you are a nonresident alien. You cannot use TurboTax to file, unfortunately.   If you have filed a Form 1040 and need to amend by submitting a 1040NR, please see the steps below. Please also wait until your return is fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.  

Here are the steps:

You would need to submit both the Form 1040-X and Form 1040NR together:

1. Download the Form 1040-X from the IRS website (see below).  On the front page of Form 1040-X, enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or IRS individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN)
  2. Do not enter any other information on page 1.  
  3. Do not complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.
  4. Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X.
  5. Complete a new or corrected Form 1040-NR.  As TurboTax does not support nonresident forms, click here Sprintax.
  6. Across the top of Form 1040-NR, write “Amended”
  7. Attach the new or corrected return (Form 1040NR) to the back of Form 1040-X.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf, page 7 under Residents and Nonresidents

View solution in original post

6 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Non resident alien

Let's just make sure.  When did you first come to the US with the F-1 visa ?

Non resident alien

I came to us last year with the F1 visa. It is the first time I do the tax returning things, so I am kind of lost. I have searched a little bit, it seems that I am definitely a non-resident alien, and I should not use turbotax.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Non resident alien

Thank You for your information.  Please see the answer below.
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Non resident alien

Yes, you are a nonresident alien. You cannot use TurboTax to file, unfortunately.   If you have filed a Form 1040 and need to amend by submitting a 1040NR, please see the steps below. Please also wait until your return is fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.  

Here are the steps:

You would need to submit both the Form 1040-X and Form 1040NR together:

1. Download the Form 1040-X from the IRS website (see below).  On the front page of Form 1040-X, enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or IRS individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN)
  2. Do not enter any other information on page 1.  
  3. Do not complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.
  4. Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X.
  5. Complete a new or corrected Form 1040-NR.  As TurboTax does not support nonresident forms, click here Sprintax.
  6. Across the top of Form 1040-NR, write “Amended”
  7. Attach the new or corrected return (Form 1040NR) to the back of Form 1040-X.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf, page 7 under Residents and Nonresidents

JosueDJ05

Non resident alien

I am an international student, and my tax return was rejected cause My birthday date was wrong and finally I couldn't make my tax return on 2018. I Would like to continue and receive it . but I need help....

Non resident alien

What to do after completing 7 steps mentioned in solution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies