Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Left Idaho - working remotely

Relocated from Idaho to Alabama and my boss says I'm to valuable to let go! So I have worked remotely from Alabama for all of 2023. The small business I work for is located in Idaho.

So when TurboTax® asks how much did I make in Idaho do I enter 0? Or the amount on my W-2? I did all the work remotely in Alabama but my employer put in Idaho state withholding. Do I even have to file with Idaho state?

To further muddle the waters, I do remote into a workstation in Idaho and use the software on the remote computer to perform my tasks. So essentially I am not physically there, but is as if I am...

Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

You must file an Idaho return when your income is sourced there. See Idaho source income which states:

Idaho source income is income from either of these:

• Transactions or activities that take place in Idaho
  • Property in Idaho

If you work purely from AL, you will have no activities in Idaho and do no need to file a return except for a refund.

If you have activities in Idaho, you will will have taxable income and need to file like this:

You will file AL since you are a resident. You don't say if you are part year or full year resident. Either way, AL will give you a credit due to the ID tax paid. 

Your resident state taxes all income but gives a credit for income taxed by another state.  Please carefully follow these directions to prepare the states in a special order. You may need to delete both states and begin again.

1. First, prepare your non-resident  ID return. This creates your tax liability for the non-resident state. How do I file a nonresident state return?
  2. Then prepare your resident state AL return and it will generate a credit for your income already being taxed in the non-resident state. 
  3. The credit will be the lower of the state tax liabilities on the same taxable income. You may owe your resident state,  if they have a higher tax rate along with differences in how the taxable income is calculated.

It isn't possible for the program to create a credit before it knows the liability. Your returns may be wrong if you do not prepare the states in this order.

[Edited 2/19/2023 | 8:56 am PST] @mebeme_1963 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am a full year resident of Alabama, non-resident of Idaho.

I think, unfortunately, you gave me the correct answer...

Thanks... I guess...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies