turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KS non-resident

My wife and I are Florida residents. My wife worked in FL but started a job in KS in August 2020 and splits her time between FL and KS. I have tried to e-file a non-resident KS return but I keep getting a message that more information is required in order to claim a credit for taxes paid to another state. It also indicates that the credit is not available for non-residents. I paid the $25 to file electronically in KS but it won't let me file until I input an amount for taxes paid to another state (blank or zero don't work) and select the state that we the taxes (and non-resident or Florida aren't choices). 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

KS non-resident

You can only claim a credit for "taxes paid to another state" if you have income that is taxed by both a non-resident state AND by your home state.  The purpose of the credit is to prevent double taxation.

Since your home state of Florida has no income tax, you are not entitled to claim an "other state credit."

The income your wife earned in KS is fully taxable by KS.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

KS non-resident

Thank you for the reply but that wasn't my issue. As a CPA/JD/MAcc with experience at a Big 8 firm (that dates me) doing tax research and compliance, I understood that I wasn't entitled to a credit for taxes paid to another state. My issue was TurboTax keep popping up a message that I needed to fix an entry. It required that I fill in the taxes I paid to another state and the state. It didn't matter what I filled in, the error message keep popping up. I slept on it and this morning I realized if I deleted the form that required the information, I could get rid of the error. I tried that and it worked. There are many times where I know what the answer should be but I just have to figure out what I need to do in TurboTax to get the right result.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies