Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kansas K-40 Line 13 - credit for taxes paid to other states

Hello, I have a similar situation to This link .  I did not find the process of filing kansas and missouri that intuitive for me, and I almost made a big mistake.  

I was prompted to enter the amount of income from the other state, when the state was already imported.  I left it blank initially.  I went back and just found the AGI for missouri.  When i did this my Kansas tax liability went down a good amount.  I just don't think I'm doing this section correct or putting the right amount in line 3 listed below.  Income derived is a weird description.  Any input is appreciated.

tax1.png

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Only the double reported income, Line 3, that is being taxed along with the liability on that income should be entered. If all of the MO money is being reported in both states, you can look at your MO return and see the tax liability. The program knows you made money but only you know which states should have how much reported. Since 2015, you can no longer be double taxed by states so KS is giving you some credit for paying MO.

STATE

To preview your return online: 

1. go into your MO state return
  2. on the left side, go to TAX TOOLS
  3. click on TOOLS
  4. pop up box, click on VIEW TAX SUMMARY
  5. left side, click PREVIEW MY MO

To see in desktop:

1. Click on FORMS mode
  2. Scroll down the left side and find your MO return
  3. Click on the form you want to see

The credit will be the lower of the state tax liabilities on the same taxable income. You may owe your resident state, if they have a higher tax rate along with differences in how the taxable income is calculated. Both KS and MO use a graduated tax rate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Only the double reported income, Line 3, that is being taxed along with the liability on that income should be entered. If all of the MO money is being reported in both states, you can look at your MO return and see the tax liability. The program knows you made money but only you know which states should have how much reported. Since 2015, you can no longer be double taxed by states so KS is giving you some credit for paying MO.

STATE

To preview your return online: 

1. go into your MO state return
  2. on the left side, go to TAX TOOLS
  3. click on TOOLS
  4. pop up box, click on VIEW TAX SUMMARY
  5. left side, click PREVIEW MY MO

To see in desktop:

1. Click on FORMS mode
  2. Scroll down the left side and find your MO return
  3. Click on the form you want to see

The credit will be the lower of the state tax liabilities on the same taxable income. You may owe your resident state, if they have a higher tax rate along with differences in how the taxable income is calculated. Both KS and MO use a graduated tax rate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies