Joint Brokerage Account 1099
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Joint Brokerage Account 1099

Me and my partner want to open a joint brokerage account. The question that we are struggling with is, how the income reporting (1099-B or 1099-Misc) will be handled between me and my partner. I understand that the brokerage firm will issue 1099-B/1099-Misc under the Social Security Number of one of us partners. Can this partner pay the tax on his share of the income and issue another 1099 to the other partner and the other partner becomes responsible for his share of the tax? For example, the starting amount of the account is $1,000,000. The amount becomes $1,500,000 ($500,000 profit). Would it be possible for me to pay taxes on my share of profit of $250,000 and my partner would pay taxes on his share of $250,000?


Should we open a regular joint (JWROS) account with the stock brokerage firm or we should form a corporation (C or S), or LLC?


Thanks in advance for your attention to this & taking time to respond. 

2 Replies
Level 15

Joint Brokerage Account 1099

Duplicate message

Level 15
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings