turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jrettig50

I lived in Texas and have w-2's. I have a Mass w-2 also. Do I add the Mass w2 to the Texas w-2's for all income??? Does Turbotax separate the 2 states for me?????

W2 for Texas and for Mass. Where do I put the W2 income for Mass????

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I lived in Texas and have w-2's. I have a Mass w-2 also. Do I add the Mass w2 to the Texas w-2's for all income??? Does Turbotax separate the 2 states for me?????

It depends.

Since all your income will need to be included with your federal income tax return, just input the W-2s for both TX and MA under the federal taxes tab. However, if one W-2 just has your nonresident state information on it and no federal information but relates to a W-2 you already inputted, then you will NOT need to input this W-2 with only your nonresident state information on it separately. Instead, add a line to the state taxes section of the W-2 to which it relates to add this additional nonresident state information.

TurboTax will not always allocate your state wages between resident and nonresident states. When you are working on your MA nonresident state income tax return to report your MA sourced income, you will be able to allocate the total amount of your W-2 income between MA source and non-MA sourced. Since the MA nonresident return asks about nonresident income, just make sure to put your nonresident income (any non-MA sourced income like your TX wage income) in the allocation amount boxes when you are working on your MA nonresident state income tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

It depends.

Since all your income will need to be included with your federal income tax return, just input the W-2s for both TX and MA under the federal taxes tab. However, if one W-2 just has your nonresident state information on it and no federal information but relates to a W-2 you already inputted, then you will NOT need to input this W-2 with only your nonresident state information on it separately. Instead, add a line to the state taxes section of the W-2 to which it relates to add this additional nonresident state information.

TurboTax will not always allocate your state wages between resident and nonresident states. When you are working on your MA nonresident state income tax return to report your MA sourced income, you will be able to allocate the total amount of your W-2 income between MA source and non-MA sourced. Since the MA nonresident return asks about nonresident income, just make sure to put your nonresident income (any non-MA sourced income like your TX wage income) in the allocation amount boxes when you are working on your MA nonresident state income tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies