Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is turbox premier mistaken on treasury t-bill tax for California?

Hi 

My understanding is treasury t-bill purchased from platforms such as Schwab is NOT taxable in California. But

Turbotax premier added all t-bill income as taxable in California. Is Turbotax wrong? I have already filed the state tax, what should I do?

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
surgerygalore
Intuit Alumni

Hello

Interest from Treasury Notes is subject to Federal taxes but is exempt from State taxes, independently of where you bought the note, in your case a T-bill, or from which state you reside.  You will have to file an amended CA return.  Good luck !

Thanks for the response, isn't turbotax supposed to take care of this? 

False alarm, turbotax indeed took care of this.  Tbill is not taxed in CA filing.

Yeah, sometimes folks who prepare their own 1099-INT forms, they sometimes accidentally put  their T-bill interest received in box 1 instead of box 3.    As long as box 3 is used for those $$, they "should" be properly handled in anyone's state forms.   

Apparently yours was properly entered as box 3 $$.

Really glad to hear that you found that those $$ were removed form CA income.   Sometimes looking thru the actual forms will answer questions you never thought to ask.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies