Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is my pension income taxable in New York State, if I am only a parttime resident in New York State?

Is my pension income taxable in New York State, if I am only a parttime resident in New York State? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It depends on what you mean by "part-year resident." or if you are a nonresident who was in NY temporarily for some reason.  

Generally speaking, your retirement income is potentially only taxable if you were a resident of New York.

If you were a part-year resident of New York, as in you moved into or out of New York during the tax year, then a portion of your pension received as a resident would be taxable.

If you were a NY nonresident, then you do not pay any NY tax, as no state is allowed to tax a nonresident on pension income.

For more information, please see  Form IT-230-I 2019 Instructions.

Thank you, Kathryn. You've answered my question. 

I was a New York resident until I moved to Florida in March of 2019.  

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

You're most welcome!

Is any of my IRA withdrawal taxable in New York State if I moved out of New York State and became a full-time resident of Florida?

I was a resident of New York State from Jan - March 2019 and then I became a full-time resident of Florida at the end of March 2019. I withdrew money from my traditional IRA in February 2019 and withdrew more money from my traditional IRA in November 2019. Is either of those withdrawals taxable in New York State?  

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Your February distribution is taxable in New York.

Does your 1099-R divide the distribution for you?  If not, you will have to pro-rate the distributions with the screens in TurboTax based on the dates of residency. 

Answer the question No when TurboTax asks if the payments were made at regular intervals since you only received two payments, one in February and one in November.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Your February distribution is taxable in New York.

Does your 1099-R divide the distribution for you?  If not, you will have to pro-rate the distributions with the screens in TurboTax based on the dates of residency. 

Answer the question No when TurboTax asks if the payments were made at regular intervals since you only received two payments, one in February and one in November.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies