nicholasebe

Inadvertent non-resident state selection

At the beginning when setting up my return, I inadvertently selected New Jersey as a state for filing.  This caused an incorrect non-resident state tax situation for me, and now I cannot create the proper New York state resident return without apparently paying another $39.99 to add another state to my return.

DaveF1006

You can go to the state section or your Turbo Tax program and delete New jersey if you neither live or work in New Jersey.

nicholasebe

Deleting the state would certainly sound like the proper and obvious approach, except that there is no delete function that is readily apparent.  I was on the phone with TurboTax tech support for a good while and we could not delete the unwanted state entry no matter what we tried.

AshleyLO

"If you don't see the option to delete your state (you'll probably see Edit instead), you've already paid your TurboTax fees (including the state fee) or registered your free version while the state was on your return. If you've done either of these things, you can't delete your state return."

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-delete-my-state-return-in-turbotax-on...

Perhaps you can try to add another state and then delete the incorrect one but that will result in the 39.99 fee for adding an additional state.