Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

qzhao
Returning Member

In 2023, I was living in Los Angeles, CA, and in Jan 2024, I moved to Seattle, WA. Which address should be considered as my principal residence for 2023 tax season? Thx!

Question about principal residence address
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

In 2023, I was living in Los Angeles, CA, and in Jan 2024, I moved to Seattle, WA. Which address should be considered as my principal residence for 2023 tax season? Thx!

You will need to use your Seattle, WA address for your primary address as this is the address that the IRS will send you any correspondences to. 

So, in the personal info section you will select California as your state of residence since that is where you lived on December 31, 2023, but then you will enter your mailing address as your current address. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
qzhao
Returning Member

Hi thanks for your soon reply! Right now I've set my Seattle address as my current mailing address, however, I just want to double-check in the state tax section, I should fill in my LA address as my principal residence address right? Look forward to your reply! Thanks!

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

No.  For your state return, you want to provide them your current mailing address so they can contact you.  You do not want your mail from the state going to your previous address.  

For the part that then asks you where you lived, it will ask county and city. This is where you will enter LA.  

ankans

I have a similar question here. For the state tax purposes, I cannot choose the county information correctly if I provide the primary residence as my current address (which in my case is New York where I moved in early 2024). Shouldn't my primary residence be my address in California for 2023? 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Some states ask if you changed your address. If the county is relevant to filing a city return or some tax situation, then you have to use your old address. If it does not affect your tax return, it should be your current address so you can receive any relevant mail.. They do not forward tax issues generally.

@ankans 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies