Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Della1843

Illinois state taxes

The irs says I didn’t pay state taxes in 2016 and now have to pay plus penalties and interest. I did my state taxes but no longer have a copy and am not able to print them. What do I do?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Illinois state taxes

The IRS is not concerned with your state tax owed.   The IRS is only concerned about your federal tax.   The state is concerned though, so you need to check your records and see if you paid.   Your proof that you paid your state tax will be in your own bank or credit card records.  It is pretty odd that you are just now hearing from the state about tax owed from all the way back to 2016.    You might be getting a letter that is a scam.   Contact the state of IL and see if they really sent you a letter asking for payment for 2016.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
TomD8
Level 15

Illinois state taxes

See this bulletin from the Illinois Dept. of Revenue: https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/ILDOR/bulletins/3983f02#:~:text=beware%20of%20scams.,addres....
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Illinois state taxes

Highly unlikely Illinois is saying you didn't pay all your 2016 taxes unless you just file it. And the IRS doesn't ask and doesn't care if you paid your state taxes. so if the notice is from the IRS it's a scam. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies