turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gp

When doing state taxes, do you only put income you made as a resident of that state? Ex: only report what I made as a PA resident to PA and not as a TX resident to PA?

I moved around last year becoming a resident of a different state. Just don't know if I am supposed to report income AFTER I moved, becoming a resident of a different state, to my previous state.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

When doing state taxes, do you only put income you made as a resident of that state? Ex: only report what I made as a PA resident to PA and not as a TX resident to PA?

If you moved say from PA to TX last year and do not intend to return to the first state (PA in this example), then you would just file a PA part year resident return and only report the income earned in PA.  Texas does not have income tax so you do not have a filing requirement for TX.

If you plan to return to PA and are only going to be temporarily living in TX , you need to file a full year resident PA tax return. 

In order to establish a new domicile, the following three conditions must be met:

• There must be evidence of a firm and definite present intention to discontinue making the for-mer domicile one’s primary base of operations;

• There must be evidence of a firm and definite present intention to make the new domicile one’s primary base of operations; and

• There must be evidence of actual physical presence and actual abode (transient, tempo-

There must be evidence of actual physical presence and actual abode (transient, tempo-rary or permanent) in the new location. If all three requirements are met, the date of the change is the first day of actual physical presence in the new location.

Please see the attached link, for a link for the PA Individual Tax Guide.  See pages 5-6 on domicile in PA and page 7 on who is considered a resident of PA. (The guide is found on the PA Department of Revenue 2018 Personal Income Tax Forms page on their website).

PA Personal Individual Tax Preparation Guide DFO-02

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies