Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If sc documents weren't ready why did turbotax file the return anyway?

My documents then printed with "Do Not File" printed on them.  I could not review them since the docs were not ready and there was an error. Now TTax says I have to way and file an amended SC return.  I have no Idea what they actually filed.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

A very FEW states, have systems that allow e-filing of tax data before the actual forms can be printed.  SC is one of them.  It's possible that they do this so that no one will mail file any forms before they are ready....but that's a guess on my part.

You should be able to get the forms printed without the "Do Not File" printed on them, sometime AFTER the IRS, and then SC state actually both "Approve" what you e-filed.  The IRS "expects " to start ~12 Feb, and the SC part isn't sent in until after the IRS approves.

1)   IF the IRS Rejects, the SC part will not go in either . Then you can correct the rejection, and re-e-file and print all the correct forms at that time

or

2) IF the IRS "Accepts" and then after that, if  SC also "Accepts" .....you should be able to return and print out the SC forms at that time 

(but seeing as you  e-filed so very early, you may have to take some special steps to get the SC printout without the Do Not File printed on the forms)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thank you for the response and I understand what you were saying.

My biggest issues were:

1) For 3 days, message on the screen said the SC forms weren't ready.  For 3 days I selected to email me when they were ready.  For 3 days, within hours of each request, I received an email that I had signed up to be notified, and then within hours of that email, I received an email stating all the SC forms were ready.  After the first time, I discussed with TT on the phone and was told to wait a day that the "system" probably would "catch" up and be correct.

2) As the forms were never ready, it would not allow me to "preview" the return, which was the only check box available.

3) After rechecking all entered information again, I went ahead and selected to e-file the FED and NC returns.  To my amazement, SC was e-file also.  

4) The error that I saw on the SC return had to do with the improper allocation of some NC income to both NC and SC.  During TT's automatic error check, it properly questioned the allocation on other NC/SC income/deductions,  but not this one.  It had been entered properly as NC income originally.

The improper information only shows up on and affects my SC return, but not to the extent that it will change the outcome on any of the returns.  I was aware that returns would not be accepted until mid-Feb, but just wanted to get them off my desk.

I've used TT for many years and this is the first ever issue I've had with an otherwise outstanding program.  TT Customer Service was advised, but don't think she really understood and of course after e-filing, there is nothing to do but wait.  I do hope they passed this up the line to correct an obvious programing issue.

Thank you again.

Bob C2

I have the same problem 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies