turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fpcke5

If I work in PA, and live in nj, does NJ use my state pa with holding for nj tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I work in PA, and live in nj, does NJ use my state pa with holding for nj tax return?

NO.

If you are a NJ resident and have PA state income taxes withheld, you need to talk to your payroll office and have the withholding stopped.  The should have a form for you to complete and sign.  This applies to STATE withholding, you are still subject to PA local income tax withholding.

If you had PA taxes withheld in 2015, you will need to file a PA nonresident return showing zero income and get a full refund of the taxes withheld.

Then file a NJ resident return reporting all income, including that earned in PA.  You may use any local tax withholding as a tax paid in another state to obtain a credit on your NJ resident return.

For more info, see:

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit25.shtml

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Do you work in Philadelphia?

NO.

If you are a NJ resident and have PA state income taxes withheld, you need to talk to your payroll office and have the withholding stopped.  The should have a form for you to complete and sign.  This applies to STATE withholding, you are still subject to PA local income tax withholding.

If you had PA taxes withheld in 2015, you will need to file a PA nonresident return showing zero income and get a full refund of the taxes withheld.

Then file a NJ resident return reporting all income, including that earned in PA.  You may use any local tax withholding as a tax paid in another state to obtain a credit on your NJ resident return.

For more info, see:

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit25.shtml

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies