Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marivp77

If I moved fromCA to CO for military, changed Home of Record to CO, filed with CO(2018)moved to TX in AUG2019changed HoR back toCA, been charged CA taxes, what do I file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

If I moved fromCA to CO for military, changed Home of Record to CO, filed with CO(2018)moved to TX in AUG2019changed HoR back toCA, been charged CA taxes, what do I file?

When did you change the Home of record back to California? 

Generally, you need to pay taxes on military pay to the state that is your home of record. If Texas was never your HoR, then you would not file a return in Texas (of course, Texas doesn't have a state individual income tax anyway).

If in 2019, your HoR was Colorado in some months and California in other months, then you would file part-year returns in both states, no matter where the income was earned.

If you had any non-military income at any time, you generally would file and report that income in the state in which you were working (with the understanding that Texas doesn't have a state individual income tax, so you wouldn't report any income in Texas).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

When did you change the Home of record back to California? 

Generally, you need to pay taxes on military pay to the state that is your home of record. If Texas was never your HoR, then you would not file a return in Texas (of course, Texas doesn't have a state individual income tax anyway).

If in 2019, your HoR was Colorado in some months and California in other months, then you would file part-year returns in both states, no matter where the income was earned.

If you had any non-military income at any time, you generally would file and report that income in the state in which you were working (with the understanding that Texas doesn't have a state individual income tax, so you wouldn't report any income in Texas).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies