Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I have a Texas drivers license, but live and work in Indiana what do I put down as my residency

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If I have a Texas drivers license, but live and work in Indiana what do I put down as my residency

It sounds like you live and work in Indiana.   Your  drivers license is not relevant to that.  You will file a federal and an IN tax return.   If you have moved permanently to IN, you might need to see about getting an IN drivers license.

https://www.in.gov/bmv/licenses-permits-ids/learners-permits-and-drivers-licenses-overview/drivers-l...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

The Texas drivers license is not the determinant factor.  Were you a full-year resident of Indiana or a part-year resident of Indiana?  Are you a member of the military?

See IT-40 tax booklet here.  Page 6 of the 2023 IT-40 Individual Income Tax Booklet states:

You are a full-year Indiana resident if you maintain your legal residence in Indiana from Jan. 1 – Dec. 31 of the tax year. You do not have to be physically present in Indiana the entire year to be considered a full-year resident. Residents, including military personnel, who leave Indiana for a temporary stay, are considered residents during their absence.

It also states:

If you were a part-year resident and received income while you lived in Indiana, you must file Indiana Form IT-40PNR, Part-Year Resident or Nonresident Individual Income Tax Return. If you were a legal resident of another state and had income from Indiana, you must file Form IT-40PNR.

@nikkich_14 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Based on the info provided ("I....live and work in Indiana"), you are a full year IN resident and should file an IN resident return.  "I have a Texas drivers license"  doesn't change that answer.

If you have more info, the answer might change. But, there is no scenario where you are not subject to IN income tax and do no have to file an IN tax return.  The only question is whether you file as a resident, non resident or part year resident. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies