turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work in NYC but my husband and I live in NJ. Turbotax is pulling in our entire federal adjusted gross income which is generating taxes due. Is this correct? If so, why?

We live in NJ. Husband's salary is earned entirely in NJ.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I work in NYC but my husband and I live in NJ. Turbotax is pulling in our entire federal adjusted gross income which is generating taxes due. Is this correct? If so, why?

You have to file two state tax returns, a New York nonresident tax return and a New Jersey resident tax return. You have to pay New York tax on the income you earn in New York. Since you live in New Jersey, all your income is subject New Jersey tax, no matter where the income is from. But you will get a credit on your New Jersey tax return for part or all of the tax that you pay to New York.

Both the New York and New Jersey tax returns use your total federal income as a starting point. The adjustments are made further down on the tax return. The New York nonresident tax return will calculate tax on your total income, then apply an adjustment based on the percentage of your income that is from New York. Prepare your New York nonresident tax return first, then your New Jersey resident tax return, to make sure that the credit on your New Jersey tax return is calculated correctly.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You have to file two state tax returns, a New York nonresident tax return and a New Jersey resident tax return. You have to pay New York tax on the income you earn in New York. Since you live in New Jersey, all your income is subject New Jersey tax, no matter where the income is from. But you will get a credit on your New Jersey tax return for part or all of the tax that you pay to New York.

Both the New York and New Jersey tax returns use your total federal income as a starting point. The adjustments are made further down on the tax return. The New York nonresident tax return will calculate tax on your total income, then apply an adjustment based on the percentage of your income that is from New York. Prepare your New York nonresident tax return first, then your New Jersey resident tax return, to make sure that the credit on your New Jersey tax return is calculated correctly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies