turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I went to college in Illinois where I held a part-time job. I live and moved back to Texas during the year. Do I file taxes as a resident or a non-resident of Illinois?

From January to April 2018 I was a full time college student in Illinois. I also had a part time job there to earn money on the side. In April I dropped out (lol) and came back home to Texas where I live and have worked since. I'm unsure how to file my Illinois taxes due to the fact that for four months I physically resided in Illinois despite having a home address as Texas.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I went to college in Illinois where I held a part-time job. I live and moved back to Texas during the year. Do I file taxes as a resident or a non-resident of Illinois?

IF you were an undergraduate, and your parents normally claimed you as a dependent (at least until the year you dropped out...the probably did for all of 2018 anyhow)..then you file as an IL nonresident.  You indicate on the My Info page that you were a TX resident all year.  Undergraduate college students don't "move"  they are a resident of their home state all year.

(...now for 2019 taxes, your parents may not be allowed to claim you as a dependent...even if you are living at home...depends on your 2019 income.....unless you go back to college in 2019)..

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies