Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K Rojas

I was a NY state part-year resident from 1/1 to 7/1, then moved out and made no income from NY sources. Why are they still using my full federal income to calculate tax?

I believe the rule is I'm liable for income I received as a resident and income I received from NY sources as a non-resident. TurboTax is still using my full federal income number to calculate NY state tax, even if I have described what amount of my income was from NY sources. Please help, how do I fix that?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I was a NY state part-year resident from 1/1 to 7/1, then moved out and made no income from NY sources. Why are they still using my full federal income to calculate tax?

The New York tax return does list your full income as taxable, but the tax is then adjusted by a factor that is calculated by dividing your New York income by your total income. So, all of your income is taxed, but the tax rate is adjusted to reflect your out of state income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
K Rojas

Thank you! I realize there is a part-time resident adjustment on the bottom of the screen. It is a little confusing the way it is displayed, but I see it's there.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies