Solved: I've been living in New Zealand for all of 2018. Does that mean I don't file a state tax return?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've been living in New Zealand for all of 2018. Does that mean I don't file a state tax return?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I've been living in New Zealand for all of 2018. Does that mean I don't file a state tax return?

If you are only using your parent's address in Colorado, you do not have a state filing requirement.  However, it looks like you already filed.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Each state is different and has different residency and domicile rules.  What state is it and do you have a home there or intend to return there when you move back to the US.  Did you file a 2017 return for that state?

I last lived in Chicago, IL, but sold my house and relocated my US address to my parents’ home in Colorado.  I did file a CO return just to be safe.  

If you are only using your parent's address in Colorado, you do not have a state filing requirement.  However, it looks like you already filed.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings