StASp

I used "Self-Employed" Turbotax for two years in a row now, and New York State has twice asked me to submit W2 etc to verify. Why use TT if NY's going to ask me for this?

SusanY1

This typically happens if there is no record in the New York files from the employer side of the income and withholding reporting or if there is variation. It is not related to the software used to prepare the return but indicates there is missing or inconsistent information in the state's database.

This can happen sometimes when returns are filed prior to the employer's deadline or if the processing of the employer forms is delayed on the state end or for numerous other reasons.  

StASp

Thanks for the fast, informative response! When you say "variation" what would that cover? 

I'm guessing the reasons you mentioned towards the end are more common? "when returns are filed prior to the employer's deadline or if the processing of the employer forms is delayed on the state end..."