Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved to NY for 153 days. Still own our home in Colorado, moved back 3/16/2017. Why does it say I'm a residences of NY?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

I moved to NY for 153 days. Still own our home in Colorado, moved back 3/16/2017. Why does it say I'm a residences of NY?

If you said you "Lived in another state in 2016", the program will consider you as a resident of that state.

If your stay in New York was intended to be temporary and Colorado is your "home", here is how to fix this:

When you complete the Personal Interview:

1. Select Colorado as your state of residence on December 31, 2016;
  2. Answer "No" when asked if you "Lived in another state in 2016?" That question only applies if you changed your state of residence in 2016.
  3. Unless you had income from NY or any state other than CO, .answer "No" when asked if you "Earned money in another state?"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

If you said you "Lived in another state in 2016", the program will consider you as a resident of that state.

If your stay in New York was intended to be temporary and Colorado is your "home", here is how to fix this:

When you complete the Personal Interview:

1. Select Colorado as your state of residence on December 31, 2016;
  2. Answer "No" when asked if you "Lived in another state in 2016?" That question only applies if you changed your state of residence in 2016.
  3. Unless you had income from NY or any state other than CO, .answer "No" when asked if you "Earned money in another state?"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies