Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cindywu

I moved out of NYC at the end of May, travelled abroad for 2 months, and moved to IL at the end of July. What was my residency status for the 2 months that I was abroad?

I started mail forwarding to my parent's address at the end of May - so I'm leaning towards making IL my state of residence for those two months...
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

I moved out of NYC at the end of May, travelled abroad for 2 months, and moved to IL at the end of July. What was my residency status for the 2 months that I was abroad?

Did you go back to live with your parents then?

You technically did not have any state residency status for the 2 months you did not maintain a home in the US.  For those 2 months, any income you earned would only be federally taxed, not state or local taxed.

If you maintained a home base during those 2 months in IL (returning to your parents home), then your residency status for those 2 months would be IL. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

-deleted-

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies