turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved from Washington State (no income tax) to Arizona (income tax)in September of 2016. Much of my income (including 401K distributions) were done before I moved.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I moved from Washington State (no income tax) to Arizona (income tax)in September of 2016. Much of my income (including 401K distributions) were done before I moved.

On one of the first screens ("Tell Us About Any Additional Filing Information") in the Arizona interview in TurboTax, you will see the question, "Confirm main form or residency".

Check this box, so that you can indicate that you were a part-year resident of Arizona. Then hit Continue.

The next screen will indicate what type of residency status the program thinks is right for you, but it will probably be full-year resident or non-resident, depending on what address you gave it.

You want to answer "yes" to the question "Do you want to choose a different form to file?" Hit Continue.

On the next screen, choose "Form 140PY - Part-Year Resident".

Then, as you go through the interview, you will be asked about your various type of income and which income belongs to Arizona.

Enter only the income earned in Arizona - this will cause the income from Washington State to never appear on the Arizona return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

On one of the first screens ("Tell Us About Any Additional Filing Information") in the Arizona interview in TurboTax, you will see the question, "Confirm main form or residency".

Check this box, so that you can indicate that you were a part-year resident of Arizona. Then hit Continue.

The next screen will indicate what type of residency status the program thinks is right for you, but it will probably be full-year resident or non-resident, depending on what address you gave it.

You want to answer "yes" to the question "Do you want to choose a different form to file?" Hit Continue.

On the next screen, choose "Form 140PY - Part-Year Resident".

Then, as you go through the interview, you will be asked about your various type of income and which income belongs to Arizona.

Enter only the income earned in Arizona - this will cause the income from Washington State to never appear on the Arizona return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies