a-mcdaniel

I moved from TN to SC 11/26/2019. I closed on my new house in SC on 1/14/2020. Do I need to file state taxes for SC since I just obtained permanent residency here in 2020

Yes, you lived in SC for most of 2019 so you have to file a SC return.  The good news is you do not have to file a TN return since TN has no state income tax.

Edited---I just re-read this.  I had it backwards..  You lived in TN most of 2019 and then moved to SC in November?  If you worked and earned any income in SC for that month that you lived and worked there you file a part year SC return.

Hal_Al

Technically, you must file an SC return because you were a part year resident.  If you had no income while an SC resident (11/26/19 to 12/31/19) you will not owe any tax to SC  and should be OK to skip filing.  But, coming from TN makes that choice less likely.  If you came from anywhere else,  you could file as a full year

resident of that state which might satisfy the SC tax people. But, TN doesn't have a traditional state income tax.