Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm retired and live in MA. I worked a temp job at my old company in CT but I was hired through the local office of a recruiter based in MD. Where do I file state taxes?

My W-2 has the MD address of the recruiter. In the past I filed a resident return in MA and a non-resident return in CT.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

I'm retired and live in MA. I worked a temp job at my old company in CT but I was hired through the local office of a recruiter based in MD. Where do I file state taxes?

Yes, you are correct.  Since you live in MA you file a resident return there with all income.  Since you worked in CT and never lived there, you file non-resident there and only allocate the wages earned in CT.  You should work the non-resident state first (after federal entries) and take note of the income taxed and income tax applied by CT.  Those numbers will be used to claim a credit on your MA resident return for taxes paid to another state.  TurboTax should transfer the figures to your resident return and you should verify/edit as needed.

MD is simply the address of the employer administrative office and has no bearing on your taxes. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies