turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm being asked for "Prior Year Rhode Island Tax" and it says "Enter your 2019 Rhode Island Tax." What does this mean? Is this asking for my 2019 refund?

If I'm being asked for taxes paid in 2019, where can I find that? Do I need to find my W2 from 2019?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I'm being asked for "Prior Year Rhode Island Tax" and it says "Enter your 2019 Rhode Island Tax." What does this mean? Is this asking for my 2019 refund?

No, it is actually asking for the total tax on your state return.

Assuming you filed a full year resident state tax return for Rhode Island in 2019, you will find this amount on Form RI-1040, page 1, Line 8 - RI Income tax from Rhode Island Tax Table or Tax Computation Worksheet.

Rhode Island total tax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

No, it is actually asking for the total tax on your state return.

Assuming you filed a full year resident state tax return for Rhode Island in 2019, you will find this amount on Form RI-1040, page 1, Line 8 - RI Income tax from Rhode Island Tax Table or Tax Computation Worksheet.

Rhode Island total tax

I'm not an RI Resident, I live in MA and work in RI. I don't have this form. What do I do?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Did you file a tax return in Rhode Island last year?  If so, you would have filed as a nonresident assuming your situation is the same.

Assuming you filed a nonresident Rhode Island Form RI-1040 last year, you will find the total tax on page 1, line 8, RI income tax from Rhode Island Tax Table or Tax Computation Worksheet.

Nonresident total tax

If you prepared your tax return using TurboTax last year, you can log into your account to access your 2019 income tax returns and obtain the amount from the forms.

Please see the link below for instructions on accessing your prior year returns.

Accessing a prior year return

If you did not have to file a tax return in Rhode Island in 2019, just enter $0 for the total tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies